What is ASTM B338?
Titanium tubes are in high demand because of their high strength, low weight ratio and corrosion resistance that is better than even grade 316 steel. Titanium alloys with nickel have shape memory suitable for many applications.
ASTM B338 is a specification for many non-alloy titanium and alloys with superior strength and corrosion resistance. The spec covers over 28 grades of welded and seamless titanium alloy tubes useful for many applications in various sectors. It includes making surface condensers, heat exchangers, evaporators, and others.
B338 tubes can withstand high temperature and pressure environments for many applications like transferring liquid at high speeds.
ASTM B338 Pipe specification
Discover cost-effective ASME sb338 tube suppliers in UAE. Verify different grades in this specification.
What are ASTM B338 pipe grades?
ASTM B338 specification covers 28 grades of both welded and seamless titanium non-alloys and alloys. Also as many other elements like nickel, palladium, vanadium, ruthenium, chromium and aluminium. ASTM B338 specifications for the remaining 15 titanium alloys with other elements in various compositions. Hence these titanium alloys have unique properties to be suitable for many applications that need superior corrosion resistance and strength.
Find stockists of cut-to-size ASTM b338 tubing that satisfies global standards through MTC throughout the Middle East and Africa at the best price, Compare ASTM b338 with a269
ASTM B338 vs A269
There are many differences between ASTM B338 and A269 specifications for pipes and tubes. While ASTM B338 specifications are for 28 grades of unalloyed and alloyed titanium, in contrast, A 269 specifications are for nickel and chromium alloys with no titanium.
- ASTM B338 specifications for pipes and tubes made of much titanium grades have superior strength and corrosion resistance than most grades of A 269 like 304 and 316
- Since B338 ASTM specifications confirm high thermal conductivity, performance and others, it is better than A269 pipes and tubes.
- B338 specifications for titanium having high strength and low weight ratio enable pipes and tubes to be more useful in high-end applications than A 269
Speak with several trustworthy importers and traders who have an inventory of Jindal, Tenaris, and NSSMC ASTM b338 seamless tube, see specifications.
Which grades fall under the ASTM B338 specification?
There are 28 grades falling under the ASTM B 338 specifications, including seamless and ASTM B338 welded tubes. The many grades differ in their titanium and other metal composition. The following are the ASTM B338 grades.
- Grades 1, 2 , 2H, and 3 are unalloyed titanium
- Grades 7 and 7H are unalloyed with 0.25% palladium
- Grades 16, 16H, 17, 26, 26H, and 27 are unalloyed with 0.08% palladium
- Grades 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 28, 30, 31, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 and 39 are titanium alloys that may have aluminium, vanadium, palladium, molybdenum, ruthenium, niobium, silicon, iron, nickel, cobalt and others in small percentages
Do you need a distributor of ASTM b338 welded tubes in Schedule 40, 80, standard 20, XXS, or 60? request a quote and find out more about the production procedure.
How is the ASTM B338 seamless tube made?
ASTM B338 seamless tubes are ideal for marine and nuclear applications because of their titanium composition and manufacturing process. It is because of its ability to withstand high pressure in many applications. Also in applications to withstand organic and mineral acids. It is because all the manufacturing stages involve continuous periphery to have superior properties.
ASTM SB338 seamless pipe manufacturing process is from cold drawn or reduced hollow billet per the specifications. ASTM B338 seamless heat exchanger tubes has high fatigue strength and excellent stress-cracking resistance to chloride ions. Also, niobium, molybdenum and nickel-chromium matrix offers a stiffening effect not to need hardening treatments in the manufacturing process.
Find certified suppliers of seamless heat exchanger tubes as per ASTM b338 in all popular and uncommon sizes, and verify the testing procedure.
What is the test performed on the ASME SB338 tube?
Manufacturers perform many tests to confirm pipes and tubes have the right chemical composition and mechanical properties. ASME SB 338 tubes produced from one of the 28 grades which have high titanium elements. The following are the few tests conducted on ASTM SB338 coil tubing to confirm its compliance with all the specifications.
- Product analysis conducted as per the ASTM SB338 specifications for the many grades to check the correct quantity of titanium and other elements
- The flattening test is for finding the capacity of the tubes to withstand load without cracking at room temperature, evaluating the elasticity, and detecting defecting weld seams on lines.
- The flaring test verifies the weld seam quality of welded tube by expanding its end to the original 115% without cracks to qualify